Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Tree and Me

So I had managed to pull myself away from World of Warcraft in preparation for this heinous little bastard of an LRW (Legal Research and Writing) assignment. I had cleared my desk, pulled out my highlighter, etc. etc. when I hear this epic crash. And guess what, I didn't even look out my window . . . So I go out to smoke a cigarette some time later and notice a massive tree laying across the road and on my neighbors car. That was kind of interesting. I walked toward the massive tree and was genuinely confused as to how said tree snapped at it's base and fell over. Today we've had a bit of a storm, nothing major and certainly nothing like the kind of torrents I've seen in Utah this time of year. But this tree just had it and decided to fuck up some young track runners day by destroying the back area of her car. So the neighbors kind of came out, and looked around and registered the fact that the forces of nature had fucked up their street. I take some pictures (on facebook) and wander around for a while looking like a slob . . . because I really like World of Warcraft and beer right now. Then I go back inside and have a realization - if it hadn't been for the recent burglary I'd experienced that tree would have fucked up my car.

The causal link works like this - I used to park my car on the street because the spaced allotted near the house is kind of narrow and daunting to pull into. So, if I hadn't had my laptop stolen I would have, most likely parked right under that damn tree, but because of the bastard that took my laptop I have made sure to park near my house. So, a theft probably saved my car.

But I'm not quite sure if that's such a good thing. If this "act of god" had taken out my car (which it probably would have) then I could have gotten a new car for $500. That would be cool. If American Express hadn't replaced my laptop I would have been out $1000 plus the $190 it cost me to replace the window that was broken. Pair this with the facts that I rarely use my car and I don't actually need it, but can't sell it because I owe more than it's worth and you can see that there really wasn't any good to come out of my laptop being stolen. If my car had been destroyed I could have said cool things to my classmates like, "yeah my car was destroyed this weekend . . . by a tree." and then there would have been a chance of litigation against the neighbors who grew such an unsavory tree which would have probably ended up in me settling with their homeowners insurance. I could have made a substantial amount of money from this deal. But instead, I lost a laptop and had to pay $190 of my own money to replace a window.

That is bullshit. Why don't big trees ever land on my car :'(??

The mechanisms set up for the sake of "public policy" are quite astounding when you have a chance to reflect upon the odd enigmas that are created as a result thereof. We, as a society, live in such a way to rectify accidents of all sorts. If you are accidentally killed by anything but you're own negligence rest assured your "estate" has got your back. That's kind of cool, but also daunting to think of. I'm not sold on the multi-million dollar verdict in favor of the woman that spilled hot Mcdonalds coffee on herself, nor am I convinced that the rows of tax-law books ought to span from here to forever. What I am sure of is that we exist in a world wherein our administration is coexistent with administrators economic benefit. It pays to be able to define the laws for a society, so we get very, very good at defining such laws. What's even more harrowing is that notion that if I ever hope to change such dire dichotomies then I better get pretty damn good at playing the same game.

On Friday I turned in my application for placement on the administrative body of the Pro-Bono department at the University of Oregon. My application was full of all the touting language that recommended my accomplishments and general skills, but I am pretty sure that something written in the application contained some form of meaningful duty. I really want to work for underrepresented populations, the indigent, the tired, the hungry etc. etc. at least while I don't have student loans to pay back. . .

It's a very weird feeling for me to be having, but I think it may be that time wherein I release my intellect and capability onto something other than myself. The self-contained education, desires, thoughts and possibilities that have sort of sat unused need a different venue than drunken conversations and unsuspecting young women.

I'm rather afraid of this prospect. When I attach a goal to my actions I suddenly become accountable for their effect and design. But I suppose that threat is one to be faced. It is definitely the time to do.

No comments: